Wednesday 3 October 2007

It's all in the jeans

Or not...

This isn't so much a post as a gripe.

Why is it so hard to buy jeans that fit?

In the last week a couple of pairs of my oldest and most faithful trousers have given up the ghost. As I don't really have the time to start sewing just at the moment I decided I'd just have to bite the bullet and buy myself some. But straight away I came up against the same problem I've been having for what seems like years - all of them are the same, and they're all hipsters, and none of them fit me.

Now, I freely admit to being a fraction on the short and dumpy side and no matter what the fashion world says, personally I don't think that having six inches of pallid white buttock extruding from the top of your trousers is a good look. In my opinion, the point of new trousers is not to have your arse hanging out. But the size that ought to fit me had a zip barely 2-inches long, and left me feeling like a baboon with exhibitionist tendencies. So I ended up opting for the next size up, which is much less revealing except that there's enough fabric in the back to get someone else in behind me if only the legs were a bit wider, and the minute I bend over or worse still, sit down, I end up unintentionally mooning people. I've had to rope them in with a belt which gathers the material into lumps across the back in a way which is distinctly uncomfortable.

Does anyone else have this problem, or am I really a freak as all the high street stores would have me believe?

2 comments:

Felicity Ford said...

You are not a freak: Jeans are simply the devil's work.

The current vogue is for jeans with a teeny, tiny zip, absolutely no room for any kind of curved bottom, (ruling out the 98% of women who actually have one) and the kind of shaping that would best flatter something shaped like a plank of wood.

They are not designed for women, but for those cut-out cardboard 2-D dress-up dolls we had as children.

So yes, I have similar problems. If I get something big enough for my hips, I have about 3 yards of baggy fabric hanging off the back of my waist. (That's if I'm lucky enough to find some jeans that actually go up to my waist.)

We are not freaks; the design of jeans lately just sucks.

Kirsty said...

I _am_ shaped like a plank of wood, and I hate the evil low rise too!

Also, either they just won't do up, or I could take up bootlegging in the excess fabric at the hip.

Or (and often and) they come pre-ripped, pre-faded, with stupid pictures on, with diamante, or with bizarre messages on the pockets.

NO! WHY can't we just have jeans that look like jeans, and cover all necessary body parts?!? Grrrr!

I buy mine once a year, in a tiny shop in Italy. The lady knows me well, and only even shows me about three pairs, and I buy the one I hate least.